Controlling Your Delivery Network and Experience: You Can’t Improve What You Can’t See

Copyright: sifotography / 123RF Stock Photo

Controlling Your Delivery Network and Experience: You Can’t Improve What You Can’t See

We say it a lot because we think it is undeniable: shipping and delivery performance have become a critical determinant of eCommerce success. Pretty much everyone agrees: one survey has shown that 99% (!) of respondents report that fast delivery is important when ordering online. One can only marvel at and appreciate the Zen-like calm of the remaining 1%.

Companies like Amazon have set the bar for customer expectations around shipping and delivery – and they have set that bar sky-high, turning the shipping experience into a source of competitive differentiation. Amazon, for one, is now competing more on customer experience, convenience and reliability than on price. So, how can you keep up?

To answer this question, we crafted a new white paper: Controlling Your Delivery Network and Experience: You Can’t Improve What You Can’t See. This paper starts at the beginning of the journey to Amazon-like capabilities, with achieving visibility into your shipping network.

But how hard is it to get visibility into your shipping and delivery network performance in real time?

It turns out there are three major impediments to really seeing what is going on: The Veil of Data, The Veil of Time, and The Veil of Meaning. The white paper goes into a bit more detail on what each of these and why they can cause problems, but the Reader’s Digest version is that it is hard to get the data you need in the right form, at the right time, and to make sense of it once you do, and that these are the three key ingredients of visibility (and the ability to offer your customers a world-class shipping and delivery experience that is built on top of it).

So, what can you do about it? Once again, the white paper contains (hopefully!) more wisdom than these few words, but it turns out there are ways of lifting each of the Veils that stand between you and the visibility you need. The most successful eCommerce companies have the systems and procedures in place they need to lift the Veils of Data, Time, and Meaning – some of the biggest ones have built their own, while others are taking advantage of the arrival on the market of commercial SaaS solutions (like the Fulfillment Intelligence Cloud!).

Check out the white paper – we think it has some good information that can help build a world-class shipping and delivery network. Let us know if you agree!